What's new with Team TTO

July 13, 2020

Bach says cancelling Tokyo 2020 would have been easier option for IOC

International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach has said it would have been easier to…
July 13, 2020

Lewis wants Olympic medallists to receive Olympic Order

THE LIFETIME ban imposed on former American Olympic track and field medallists Vince Matthews and…
July 12, 2020

Athletes Are Fighting the Olympic Ban on Protests

At a time of global uprisings, the Olympic ban on political dissent is under renewed…
July 12, 2020

CANOC urging sports associations in the Caribbean to be innovative

BRIAN Lewis, president of the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees (CANOC), believes that sport…
July 11, 2020

First black Miss Universe became a national icon in Trinidad

When Janelle “Penny” Commissiong became Miss Universe in 1977, the world sat up and took…
July 10, 2020

SIGA CREATES TASK FORCE ON RACE, GENDER, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION

Following the successful SIGA-Soccerex Webinar on the topic, “Football For All,” the Sport Integrity Global…
July 09, 2020

Lewis: Reinstate Munich Games 400m medallists Matthews, Collett

Caribbean National Olympic Committees (CANOC) president Brian Lewis is calling for the rescinding of a…

Tokyo 2021 #1YearToGo

Logo TOKYO 2020 International Olympic Committee
Logo Omega Offical Timekeeper

Cartan Global | Tokyo 2021

Welcome to the Olympic Channel Live

Team TTO on Facebook

Team TTO on Twitter

Sport Company & TTOC In Support Of New National Sports Policy https://t.co/jG7ypInB43 https://t.co/9w3eZoFpqL
About 3 hours ago
Lewis wants Olympic medallists to receive Olympic Order https://t.co/xKt9tSOtd8
About 3 hours ago
Bach says cancelling Tokyo 2020 would have been easier option for IOC https://t.co/0SkPdDyghM
About 3 hours ago
RT @SIGAlliance: "SIGA Creates Task Force on Race, Gender, Diversity, & Inclusion." Check out what it's members have to say & will deliver…
About 19 hours ago

TeamTTO on Instagram

UPCOMING OLYMPIC GAMES

T&T OLYMPIC TEAM TTO PARTNERS

International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) President Sebastian Coe tonight claimed he is “angered and dismayed” by multinational food company Nestlé’s decision to withdraw its sponsorship of the governing body’s Kids Athletics programme in the wake of the current doping crisis engulfing the sport.

Coe, who has endured a tumultuous tenure at the head of the world governing body since being elected last August, has blasted Nestlé’s choice to end their agreement with the body.

They had claimed it "could adversely affect our reputation and image".

The double Olympic 1500 metres gold medallist said: "Angered and dismayed by today’s kids’ athletics announcement.

"We will not accept it.

"It’s the kids who will suffer.”

The Swiss company, founded in 1905, had been a partner of the IAAF initiative since 2012 but have decided to end its five-year €2 million (£1.5 million/$2.2 million) agreement 12 months early due to the ongoing scandal plaguing the organisation.

They made the announcement in a statement released earlier today.

“We have decided to end our partnership with the IAAF Kids programme with immediate effect,” they said.

“This is our decision given the negative public perception regarding corruption allegations and doping in sport against the IAAF.

“We believe that this could adversely affect our reputation and image and therefore have terminated the existing contract.

“We have the IAAF informed of our decision and are waiting for a formal confirmation that our partnership has ended.”

The IAAF claimed it is an unfair targeting of one of their most important development projects.

They suspect Nestlé's decision is financially motivated.

"The IAAF is in discussion with Nestlé concerning the final year of its five year partnership with IAAF Kids’ Athletics," a statement from the governing body had said.

"This has been a successful programme with 15 million kids aged seven to 12 years in 76 countries taking part in fun team activities which promotes a healthy, active life style.

"In 2016 IAAF Kids Athletics plans to reach a further 15 countries, training 360 lecturers, instructing 8640 Physical Education teachers, with three million children participating by the end of the activation."

Last month it was reported that Adidas had terminated their sponsorship agreement with the IAAF, worth $33 million (£23 million/€30 million) over an 11-year period, four years early in the wake of the doping crisis.

Soon after the Germany company reportedly ended their deal with athletics’ world governing body, reports in Spain claimed they were set to sign a record-breaking shirt sponsorship agreement with Real Madrid, the world’s richest football club, worth £1 billion ($1.4 billion/€1.3 billion).

The withdrawal of the two sponsors came after the World Anti-Doping Agency Independent Commission published reports into doping in athletics.

The first alleged the presence of a state-supported doping scheme in Russia, leading to the suspension of the All-Russia Athletic Federation, while the second claimed corruption was embedded within the IAAF.

It accused former President Lamine Diack, who was succeeded by Britain’s Sebastian Coe in August, of being "responsible for organising and enabling the conspiracy and corruption that took place in the IAAF”.

Papa Massata Diack, Valentin Balakhnichev and Alexei Melnikov have been banned from athletics for life by the IAAF Ethics Commission after it ruled they were part of a blackmail plot that covered up Russian doping failures.

They have appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Source